Home  /  Articles

26.Jul, 201700


Ensure your new property is Gas Safe  You can’t always be sure when the appliances and pipework in your new property were last serviced and checked. Your vendor should be able to provide you with a Gas Safety Record showing that a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer has checked the gas installation pipework and appliances. If they’re unable to do this, you’ll need to contact a registered engineer to carry out checks before you move in. The engineer should be able to complete a record and provide it to the vendor so they can pass it onto you when…

26.Jul, 201700


A registered engineer has left a warning label on your appliance – what does it mean? When a registered engineer identifies an unsafe situation there’s a procedure they will look to follow – the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure (GIUSP): In the first instance, they’ll look to find the cause of the problem and rectify any faults; If this is not possible, they will advise you that the fault(s) need to be repaired before the installation can be used again; If the work cannot be corrected immediately, they’ll look to make the installation safe (after receiving your permission to do…

26.Jul, 201700


Don’t leave it to chance – unchecked appliances could pose a risk to you and your family All gas appliances in your property need to be safety checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer annually and serviced according to manufacturer’s instructions. Any appliance left unchecked could leave you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s an extremely good idea to have your gas pipework inspected at the same time as having a gas safety check, every year – and it’s law if you’re alandlord. Sign up to our free reminder service at to get an email or text each year…

13.Jul, 201700

Gas Central Heating

Most households in the UK have mains gas central heating. Find out if you’re paying too much for gas and learn more about the pros and cons of gas central heating. Gas central heating is a so-called ‘wet system’, which means a gas-fired boiler heats water to provide central heating through radiators and hot water through the taps in your home. Some houses that aren’t connected to the gas network can use electrical heating, liquid petroleum gas (LPG) or heating oil, which work in a similar way to gas central heating. LPG and oil are delivered by road and stored…

8.Jul, 201701

Having a new appliance fitted?

HAVING A NEW APPLIANCE FITTED? Here’s a few things to take into account before the work starts Asking for a quote When it comes to asking for a quote, make sure you ask two or three different businesses to give you a good idea of the costs involved. To make sure the work is quoted correctly, you’ll need to include details such as the type of work to be carried out, the materials to be used, appliance make/model and location within the property. Before you start here’s a few things you can do: Contact a Gas Safe registered business for advice…