Home  /  FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Why Should I choose KMG Engineers?
KMG engineers are a group of Gas safe registered engineers that are committed to your safety first.  We aim to amaze our customers by delivering peace of mind. If we accept the job, you can consider it done!
What should I do if I suspect a Gas appliance is unsafe?

It is illegal for anyone to use a gas appliance if they suspect it is unsafe. Turn the appliance off and do not touch it until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer link to external website.

If you suspect there is a gas leak you should immediately do the following:

  • Call National Grid’s Gas Emergency Freephone number: 0800 111 999
  • Open all the doors and windows
  • Shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve (if you know where it is)

What maintenance needs to be carried out on my gas appliance?
HSE strongly advises that all gas appliances, flues and pipework should be installed, regularly maintained and serviced at least annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer link to external website.
Do I have to use a gas safe registered engineer to complete gas work?
Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must be a Gas Safe registered engineer link to external website and competent in that area of gas work. The gas engineer’s competencies are clearly marked on the back of the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. If in any doubt you can ring Gas Safe Register 0800 408 5500 or check their website link to external website to see if the engineer is registered.
Can a room containing gas appliances still be used as a bedroom?

Since 31 October 1998, any room converted to use as sleeping accommodation should not contain the following types of gas appliances:

  1. A gas fire, gas space heater or a gas water heater (including a gas boiler) over 14 kilowatts gross input unless it is room sealed.
  2. A gas fire, gas space heater, or a gas water heater (including a gas boiler) of 14 kilowatts gross input or less or any instantaneous water heater unless it is room sealed or has an atmosphere-sensing device.

If a room contains one or more of the above appliances and was used as a bedroom prior to 1998 then you will need to do a risk assessment to determine if it can still be used as a bedroom. If you are unsure of the safety of any gas appliance you should get a Gas Safe registered link to external website engineer to check it for you.

Why are ventilation and flues so important?

To help operate safely, all gas appliances need the following:

  • An adequate supply of air to help the complete combustion of gas;
  • efficient operation of their flue to remove any combustion products, including carbon monoxide (CO), that are produced

Without these safety precautions dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can build up with the possibility of fatal consequences. There are some easy ways to help avoid the build up of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • never block ventilation;
  • ensure that flues are kept clear at all times;
  • Have your appliance regularly maintained and annually serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

How do I know if an engineer is gas safe registered?

All Gas Safe registered engineers carry ID cards which tell you which appliances they are qualified to work on.

You can check that the engineer or the business is on the Gas Safe Register website link to external website.

What if I have shared ownership of my property with another company?

If you have shared ownership of your property and the lease is for longer than 7 years the housing company does not have landlord’s duties under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GS(IU)R 98). In this situation you would have the same responsibilities as a homeowner.

In situations where a lease is shorter than 7 years then the housing company would be classified as a landlord under GS(IU)R 98. The contract between you and the housing company should clearly state who is responsible for the associated duties for domestic gas safety.