Having a new appliance fitted?


Here’s a few things to take into account before the work starts

When it comes to asking for a quote, make sure you ask two or three different businesses to give you a good idea of the costs involved. To make sure the work is quoted correctly, you’ll need to include details such as the type of work to be carried out, the materials to be used, appliance make/model and location within the property.

Before you start here’s a few things you can do:

  • Contact a Gas Safe registered business for advice – you can find one online or call us on 0800 408 5500 for details of suitable businesses in your local area.
  • Ask for a quote from two or three different businesses. You’ll need to include details such as: work to be carried out, materials to be used, appliance make/model and location.
  • Can the businesses in question provide references from previous customers? If you are able to, contact these customers and see how they feel about the job the company did.
  • You’ll need to check that the business has public liability insurance, and check with your insurance company whether or not the job might affect your own insurance.

Once you’ve chosen your engineer it’s a good idea to confirm the job in writing, including the following details:

  • Name, address and contact details for both parties.
  • Agreed price, the work it covers, methods of payment and any additional work.
  • Start date and duration of work, any late penalties which have been agreed on.
  • Confirmation that the business will notify the Local Authority Building Control of any relevant works and when you’ll receive your certificate (if applicable).
  • The work to be undertaken, the appliances included and materials to be used.
  • Details of any sub-contractors used (including Gas Safe registration number).
  • Refuse disposal and who will carry out any remedial work if necessary.
  • After sales services such as warranties on appliances, materials and workmanship. This includes arrangements to rectify any defective work or damage to the property.

Before the engineer starts work at the property, make sure you check they have a valid Gas Safe ID card and are appropriately qualified to carry out the work.

When the work is completed:

  • The engineer should provide you with completed commissioning documents, such as the Benchmark certificate for boilers.
  • Your warranty registration needs to be returned and completed.
  • If you’re based in England or Wales, the engineer needs to notify the installation to your Local Authority (unless it’s a flueless cooking appliance). Similar requirements exist in the Isle of Man and Guernsey.
  • Most importantly, make sure you’re happy with the work and it’s been completed as agreed before you make payment.

After you have had gas work completed in your property you can nominate your installation for an inspection by Gas Safe Register. Find out more.

Remember all gas appliances in your home need to be serviced and checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *